Although there are hundreds, if not thousands of good reasons to travel to Costa Rica, sometimes it seems like all the info available online is made up of half truths, over the top claims and marketing malarkey who’s sole purpose is to get you here and relieve you of your money. In an attempt to help Costa Rica save some face and put and end to the cycle of lies The CR Post presents: The Top 3 Viral Lies that are Killing Costa Rica’s Credibility

No, Costa Rica is not planning to shut down it’s Zoos and Free all Animals

While it is true that back in July of 2013, former Environment Minister René Castro did announce that the government would be ending it’s contracts with the nonprofit that runs Costa Rica’s two urban zoos, unfortunately for Castro the nonprofit zoo manager FUNDAZOO had other plans.

slotcage

“We are getting rid of the cages and reinforcing the idea of interacting with biodiversity in botanical parks in a natural way,” Castro lied. “We don’t want animals in captivity or enclosed in any way unless it is to rescue or save them.” Later adding ““It is a gradual process, but eventually we hope that there will no longer be animals in cages anywhere in the country”.

Mrs. Castro never go a chance to elaborate as to exactly where all these animals would go once freed since FUNDAZOO ended up taking the issue to court for an alleged breach of contract and won their right to continue sticking animals in cages for at least another decade.

No, Costa Rica is Not on track to be Carbon Neutral by 2021

If you spend as much time reading the internet as I do then you are probably well aware that Costa Rica aims to be the first carbon neutral country in the world. Since we already get over 95% of our primary energy needs from renewable sources last year we must already be well on our way. Right David Wolfe?

Not so fast. It appears Costa Rica has since distanced itself from it’s ambitious goal set by Oscar Arias back in 2007 and bumped the Carbon Neutral date to 2085. Arias, who will be celebrating his 145th birthday that year, is expected to be either dead or seeking reelection by then.

diablo

Although it may be true that Costa Rica went 255 days without using fossil fuels to produce electricity at some point last year, the country currently relies so heavily on fossil fuels for transportation that it accounts for 40% of it’s total carbon emissions. Since special interest have made it their mission to make sure that no type of modern rail service is ever implemented in Costa Rica it is highly doubtful that we will see this number droping any time soon.

And No, Costa Rica is not the Happiest Country on Earth

happy

With 10% of Ticos currently unemployed and more than 25% of the population living in poverty, it’s no wonder that Costa Rica  i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶p̶p̶i̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶r̶y̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶e̶a̶r̶t̶h̶  is #2 for suicides in Central America (over 400 suicides reported in 2014). Fortunately though, despite the lack of social programs , it’s highly unlikely you will die of hunger or depression in Costa Rica, it’s way more likely you be Murdered.

deadpika

Last year the per capita murder rate for Costa Rica was 11.4 per 100,000, more than double the murder rate of The United States and a level the World Health Organization (WHO) considers to be a “pandemic.” Although authorities estimate that 45 percent of the annual murders are related to drugs and organized crime, it’s the other 55 percent that has The CR Post concerned.

So, with all the murder, suicide and people living in poverty how does Costa Rica continue to stay on top of the Happiness list you ask? By lying of course!

lying
When asked how they rated their well being most Ticos answered “Pura Vida”

 

Comments

comments

1 COMMENT

  1. Always wondered how this fucking country can be the happiest when workers earn anywhere from $1 to $3 and hr working bull shit jobs. 25% is being conservative, but you really see the gap between locals living in shacks near gringo homes.

LEAVE A REPLY